1. NO BRUSHING OVER SURGICAL SITE(S) FOR 6 WEEKS.
2. NO FLOSSING OR WATER PIK FOR 6 WEEKS.
3. NO TOUCHING: with finger or any other device or object (e.g., cotton swabs).
4. NO LOOKING: Please do not pull your lip up. It will pull your gum tissue away from your teeth, which we do not want.
5. RINSE ONLY WITH LIPS APART (e.g., NO chipmunk cheeks).
6. If your dentist made you a bite appliance, WEAR it for 24 hours a day. (Do not clench or grind your teeth). Check with Dr. Newhart about any other appliances (e.g., retainers, Invisalign, Perio-Protect, etc.).
7. ICE OVER AREA at 10 minute intervals for the first 48 hours to minimize swelling.
8. DO NOT BE ALARMED ABOUT SOFT TISSURE SWELLING OR BRUSHING FOR THE FIRST WEEK (it varies a lot between patients).
9. DO NOT EAT crunchy or sticky foods, or drink out of a straw.
10. EXPECT cold sensitivity for 6 weeks or longer. DO REPORT sensitivity during check-up appointments.
11. PAIN CONTROL – follow instructions given by Dr. Newhart.
12. CALL OUR OFFICE IMMEDIATELY IF YOU HAVE UNEXPECTED PAIN, CONTINUOUS BLEEDING, CONTINUED SWELLING OR HEAT FROM SURGICAL SITE.
13. If you can’t reach Dr. Newhart, your dentist, or an oral surgeon, go to the emergency room.
14. Patient MUST return to our office 24 hours after surgery, 1 week after surgery, 3 weeks after surgery, and 6 weeks after surgery.