1. Bleeding: A small amount of bleeding is to be expected for 1 to 2 days after a frenectomy. If bleeding starts again, put a damp guaze, a clean damp cloth or a cold damp tea bag over the bleeding area and bite on it for 30 minutes with firm pressure. Do not chew.
2. Rinsing: Do not rinse your mouth or brush your teeth the day of surgery. The day after surgery, rinse with a solution of warm salt water every 6 hours. You may brush your teeth using care around the area of extraction. If painful, you may delay this for 1 or 2 more days.
3. DO NOT spit for 24 hours; it may increase bleeding.
4. DO NOT smoke for 24 hours.
5. DO NOT use mouthwash or anything with alcohol in it for 24 hours.
6. DO NOT bend over and lift any heavy objects or get overheated.
7. DO NOT use a straw for drinking for 24 hours. Drinking through a straw may disturb the blood clot.
8. Swelling: Swelling after a frenectomy is common and need not to cause any alarm. Apply an ice pack for 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off every waking hour for the first 24 hours following your frenectomy.
9. Pain: For pain, take any over the counter non-aspirin pain tablet as directed. If this is not adequate, use the prescription tablets as directed.
10. Diet: Drink lots of liquids and eat anything you can swallow, especially fruit juices and milk. Clear liquids such as 7-UP or ginger ale may be easiest on your stomach.
11. Sleep: Make sure you sleep with your head elevated on two pillows.
12. IF PAIN INCREASES after 48 hours, please contact us immediately.